Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Tattoo Art

I'm not a fan of tattoos normally. However, riding uptown on the 2 Train with this guy's arm in my face gave me an opportunity to appreciate the details of his tattoo. It reminded me of a fine pen and ink drawing. At first glance it appeared to be a topographical map laid out from his wrist stretching up under the sleeve of his tee-shirt. Upon closer inspection I realized that the rounded tentacles reaching from his elbow towards his wrist were filled with faces/skulls with open mouths. His forearm was a canvas of naked men, posed in Rodin's"Thinker" position, their muscles detailed so well that they looked real.

I found myself not wanting to stare, the train wasn't crowded enough for me not to be noticed, but wanting to ask him about the art. The detail was so fine that it required close inspection. I wondered how long it took to accomplish this, and how much pain had he endured...especially considering that his right arm was also tattooed, but in color. Hoping I run into him again so I can further scrutinize this fine piece of art!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should have asked him about it instead of waiting for your next encounter.

Love how descriptive you are in your writing. Well done!

-V